Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fun with Fallacies. (And some EPL)

The first thing that pops into my head when I think of fallacies is Abbott and Costello's famous "Who's on first?" sketch. The fallacy that this is a great example of is called equivocation. This little skit has always been absolutely hilarious to me, even after seeing it for the 500th time. This is a very humorous use of the fallacy. If you haven't seen/heard it yet, and you want a laugh, I highly recommend you read it. DO it!


Abbott: I say, Who’s on first, What’s on second, and I Don’t Know’s on third

Costello: Well then who is on first?
Abbott: Yes.

Costello: I mean the fellow’s name.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The guy on first.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The first baseman.

Abbott: Who!

Costello: The guy playing first base.

Abbott: Who is on first.

Costello: I’m asking you who’s on first!

Abbott: That’s the man’s name.

Costello: That’s whose name?

Abbott: Yeah.

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That’s it.

Costello: That’s who?

Abbott: Yeah.

Its just continues to go on and on with the hilariousness. This is a strong example of this fallacy because the actual names of the players just so happen to be interrogatory words as well. Hence, one term with two definitions that causes an extreme level of miscommunication. And entertainment :)

EPL! (ethos, pathos, logos)

Ethos!
Stating that he's a clergyman may give him a little bit of standing and cause trust.
 "First, I think it a right thing for every clergyman to set the example of matrimony in his parish."

Just by saying, "My dear cousin," he makes it more personal. If someone were to address me in such a personal manner it might cause me to trust them more.

Pathos!
Mr. Collins attacks emotionally here, very harshly I might add. This statement would most definitely evoke emotion and really cause her to think, "oh dear, he might be right."
"Consider that it is by no means certain that another offer of marriage may be made to you. You cannot be serious in your rejection."

His choice of words here is very flattering and can emotionally get to her. It sounds like a cheesy line to me, but can definitely draw out an "Awwwwww!"
"For, as almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out as the companion of my future life! But before I am run away by my feelings on this subject, perhaps it would be advisable for me to state my reasons for marrying."

Logos!
Here, Mr. Collins appeals logically by saying why he has chosen her. It can also be an emotional angle when he speaks on his affections.
"My dear cousin, being, as I am, to inherit all this estate after the death of your father, I could not satisfy myself without resolving to choose a wife from among his daughters. And now nothing remains, but to assure you, in the most animated language, of the violence of my affections!?

He explains here that she fits the criteria asked by his patroness, so she must be the logical choice.
"And your wit and vivacity, I think, must be acceptable to her, when tempered with the silence and respect which her rank will inevitably excite."

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I like your example of equivocation--it illustrates intentional fallacies can be really funny (think of the Princess Bride clip we looked at in class)

    Also, nice work with the e/p/l

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your example of the fallacy. I too have seen that skit hundreds of times, and it never even occurred to me he could be using a fallacy. It just shows that even in the strangest of arguments, people can twist the argument their way through fallacies.

    ReplyDelete