Friday, March 2, 2012

I'm stuck in a rut.

I'm still stuck between 2 topics so I'll explain both and why I'm stuck.

My first topic of interest is how social media effects the quality of communication in relationships. Very often when trying to avoid confrontation people take advantage of new media like texting and facebook. I think people should avoid this use of communication because it could have harmful effects. Communication is SO important, especially in committed relationships. This one will probably have more research to find and directly relates to social media, but when the paper asked "Which one would be most interesting to read?" this isn't the one I though fit that criteria. I'm also in a marriage prep class and I'm sure my professor could help me out and direct me in where to find good sources for this.


My other one involves today's idea of perfection in beauty. Since this is the one I wrote down on that paper it got a little more developed. I took it into a few categories; plastic surgery, to need to not age, and young girls being affected by all of the above and more. I'm really passionate about the effects this has has the younger generation. There is so much going on that show young girls, not even teenagers yet, that they need to be hot and sexy, with high heels, big hair, skimpy skirts, 2% body fat, and 2lbs of make up. This quite honestly makes me sick. I have 2 younger sisters that I can already tell are/may be affected by what they see in media. I'm stuck here because I don't know what my question would be and I'm not sure if I could as easily find sources for this.

So as you can see, I'm in a rut. I don't know which one I like more, they both interest me A LOT. But i don't know which would would be more easily developed and has the ability to become the best paper. Help? :)

2 comments:

  1. They both are good, interesting topics! Personally, I think you should go with the one you are most interested in. It'll be a more fun paper to write that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could steer you in one direction or the other, I would probably steer you towards the "idea of beauty" topic. It is very broad, yes, but I think as a dancer at BYU you have a great perspective on this. Coming at it from the perspective of the "dance world" could be very interesting, indeed. You could talk about ideals of beauty within a dance community, and how both men and women are affected by it. Arguing the effect of media on beauty perception within the dancing community would be a good way of narrowing the topic from just "ideas of beauty."

    Whatever you decide, you will need to make sure and propose an actual solution, something concrete that people could do to correct the problem.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete