Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Our visit to the library.

The library website is kind of complex and has always been a bit on the difficult side for me, but that's because no one had ever really shown me around. But it's no easy "showing around". The place is like a mansion with 9 floors, 23 bedrooms, a labyrinth, and a spiraling staircase. But I think I've been given some good tours and might be able to remember where the spare-extra-guest bedroom and the pool are (In other words, I could probably get myself around without help). So since I've learned how to navigate on my own its been quite easy to find the information that I need. My area of difficulty that comes along sometimes is not finding articles, books, journals and other material that are specific enough to my topic. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does I feel like I'm way off base and just need a few pointers of how to narrow my wording.
Also, I learned that I'm quite savvy with an ipad.

4 comments:

  1. The filters when you are doing a search using a specific database help narrow down the amount of results alot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely read this while I was half asleep... and thought it said the library has a pool....
    This is why they make warnings against not operating heavy machinery when you're tired... because of me. haha
    But then after I realized you definitely did not say that, I completely agreed with your analogy. I agree that the website isn't all that difficult to figure out on your own, but it is pretty hard to find what you need on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with your last point. I'm looking forward to Friday's class, it seems like they'll show us how to narrow our research even further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the analogy to it being a mansion. I agree, once you get used to a house though and are in it enough, you know where to go so hopefully the website becomes like that for our class!

    ReplyDelete